The Boathouse in Bohortha

   In June, myself and my parents fancied a mini getaway to somewhere tranquil by the sea so that we could forget about the stress of everyday life and bury our faces in books.

   After hours of aimless searching on the internet, I finally checked Airbnb and came across this beautiful blue boathouse in Bohortha. It was remote, small but snug and the hosts allowed pets so my dog - Spit - could come along too!



   We made the necessary arrangements and, soon enough, we were off on our five hour journey down the M6. It was an incredibly long drive made even longer by Spit, who hates being in the car, but it was definitely worth it.

   The roads in South Cornwall are very narrow and full of twists and turns so it was quite a challenge to get there but we recognised the beatific boathouse as soon as it was in sight. Small, stylish and sleeked in sky blue; we could not wait to get inside.

   The interior certainly did not disappoint. The living room was a large open space, leading directly into the kitchen, which had a wooden ladder going up to the cosy attic bedroom that overlooked the living room. It came equipped with wi-fi, Netflix, a barbecue, double doors that opened onto some decking, sun chairs and even a croquet set; all complemented by a spectacular sea view.

The long car journey left Spit feeling exhausted!

    It took a bit of driving around to get our bearings because - as I said earlier - it is a very remote place so you would need a car to get around for sure.

   We spent our first full day exploring St Anthony's Head, which was just a short drive away from the boathouse. I captured some terrific coastal views and sandy coves on my phone and it provided for a very relaxing walk. Some of the steps were a little steep and climbing back up them was always a task but that may be down to my appalling lack of fitness.

I managed to get a perfect shot of the lighthouse at St Anthony's Head just as a boat was going past!

   But something happened that made my heart leap into my mouth. We decided to settle down on a bench where the cliffs peaked and the sea splashed over the jagged rocks below. Another family was about to pass us and they were accompanied by three big dogs. Spit was naturally very eager to make friends and tugged at the lead.

In a split second, he somehow broke free from his harness.

   "He's out!" My mum shrieked and we lunged for him just as he was yards away from the cliff edge. It was a blood-curling moment I'll never forget. I urge you all to double-check the tightness of your dog's leads/harnesses when taking them for walks in dangerous places.

   Fear of imminent doggy death aside, it was a scenic and fulfilling walk. I couldn't wait to get at that bottle of pink gin.

   It was our second - and unfortunately, the last - full day when we found the perfect beach to spend the morning and afternoon. It was situated just down the steps from the North Parade in Portscatho.

The water in the coves was so crystal clear; I just wanted to float in it forever.

   The sight that beheld me when I descended the stairs was that of a picturesque sandy beach, which my feet instantly became submerged in. Dozens of rock pools embellished with numerous shells and periwinkles were scattered off to the side and excited dogs whipped through the water in pursuit of thrown toys. I never wanted to leave.

   That was a day well spent catching some sun, whilst reading a good chunk of my book. I say "some sun" but I ended up burning my back completely, despite topping up on my suncream a few times! I love having pale skin. Not.

   Winding down with my book and a glass of pink gin in my small attic room with the window latched open was one of the best parts of my stay. It was nice to be alone with nothing but the promise of a fantasy world and the sound of the singing birds outside.

   My family and I returned from our trip with clearer heads; the crisp sea air did us all so much good and I would certainly recommend this stay to anyone needing a peaceful getaway from everything.

Would you like to go to Bohortha? Have you already been?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments