My worst characteristics

   You probably think this is going to be a negative post. To an extent, yes. But this week's post is more about acceptance. We all have aspects of our physicality and personality that we dislike.

   However, what I have come to learn is that the traits we hate are not necessarily disliked by those around us. I would even go as far to say that what we would define as our worst traits are often loved the most by others because they are an integral part of what characterises us.


   I will demonstrate by listing some of - what I believe - are my worst traits.

My Freckles

   I am never really happy with my face unless I am wearing make-up, which is quite sad really. The primary reason for this is because of my freckles; they just seem to be multiplying all the time! Some people really suit freckles but I just don't think I am one of them so I try to conceal them with foundation. I always wish for clear skin.

   What surprises me, on the other hand, is that I have received compliments on more than one occasion about my freckles - it baffles me every time! I just cannot see their beauty on me but I'm glad some people do.

Anxiety

   This is something that has plagued my life and defined a lot of the person I am today. I used to be bullied by a group of girls from another school as I waited for my school bus every day. That's a story for another time but it had a substantial effect on me. I could not leave the house by myself for three years and, every time I saw a gang of teenagers out in public, I instantly felt nauseous. It also made me very afraid to speak to people without the fear of being judged and hated.

   Things have improved a lot as I have grown, of course. However, that fear still resides within me in the form of social awkwardness, defensiveness, being easily intimidated by established friendship groups and the need to distance myself from those who gang up on individuals.

   Accepting this, I have since realised that it has helped me to recognise pack-mentality when I see it so I can remove myself from it as soon as I am able. 

It takes me a long time to heal

   I really wish it didn't. It would save me a tonne of heartache. One day, I would be 100% convinced that I have come to terms with something then, months later, I'd be laying awake getting upset about it again even if said person/people being the root cause of my hurt have long left my life. 

   I don't have difficulty accepting bad things that have happened. I just have a very hard time letting go of them, which makes it so much more complex. Sometimes, I see peers interacting with people who they know have been toxic to them and it makes me wonder, how on earth can you do that? I couldn't. With me, once that trust is gone, it's never there again. 

   On the bright side, this does work to my advantage by helping me avoid certain situations, repeating mistakes and it sends out the message that - once a person has done me wrong - I am never going to give that person a chance to do so again.

Height

   I don't hate my height but, sometimes, it causes me a lot of frustration. For instance, I get patronised a lot and often don't get taken seriously when I'm angry because my height - or lack of thereof - makes me less intimidating. It's also very easy for me to get left behind because, unless I'm jogging, I find it very difficult to catch up with my long-legged friends. Not to mention, it works as a huge disadvantage to me in team sports. 

   Despite these fallbacks, my height can work to my advantage. I can wear heels and still be smaller than most people, I get piggybacks, massive hugs and it has often worked as an effective conversation starter!


   Of course, I have many more flaws but these four are my biggest insecurities. I am completely okay with putting them out there because I have accepted these and not all people are going to think they are as terrible as I believe them to be.

   In fact, you probably read through them thinking, me too or that's not bad. Now, visualise your biggest insecurities and I guarantee there will be lots of people out there who will have similar reactions to the ones you had on my post. Suddenly, it doesn't seem so bad, does it? 

   This post was inspired by many conversations I have had with close friends. It still takes me aback some of the things they hate about themselves, whether it is their curves or their straight talking attitude (LOVE these).

 It just goes to show that for every thing you dislike in yourself, someone else will adore it. 

What do you not like about yourself and why would people argue that it is actually not so bad?
Let me know in the comments below!

32 comments

  1. Great post, it's so interesting that what you dislike about yourself other people may love or even want themselves! I've been thinking of writing a similar post myself the past couple of weeks so it was good to come across your post! I really didnt like my nose when I was younger, I thought it was huge, I've either grown into it now or stopped caring it because it rarely bothers me anymore and no one else seems to notice it either! We are are own harshest critics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly are our harshest critics! I definitely found that my physical appearance bothered me more when I was younger. Now, more of my worry centers around my psychological traits - I worry a lot that I’m annoying and I try too hard but my friends find me funny fortunately!
      I would definitely recommend writing that post; it made me feel a little better about myself.

      Meg x

      Delete
  2. Very interesting post I think we are the worst critics and we end up criticizing every aspect from our self. One of my old insecurities was my height and then I learned that it doesn't matter I should embrace it and well I'm 5'8 and I enjoy wearing heels. I should write a similar post hopefully by next week, I'll let you know!. xo

    Michelle| www.brokebutflawless.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re definitely right! 5’8 is a magnificent height - stand tall and proud in those beautiful platforms! 🙌🏻 Oh, please do; I would love to read it!

      Meg x

      Delete
  3. I can definitely relate with the height! I used to hate it when I was younger. Now I think I accepted it and I just think of the advantage that I can always wear heels and I'm never taller than my boyfriend!:)
    xoxo Annaleid
    www.actuallyanna.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve certainly accepted it a lot more now, especially as the people around me have matured a lot and don’t make as much of a big deal about it. Aye, the heels are always an advantage muahaha!

      Meg x

      Delete
  4. I love that you've taken these characteristics and turned them around to accept them! I'm one of those people who absolutely love freckles, when I was younger I had loads and I kind of miss them, they look gorge! Accepting anxiety is such a big step but once you accept it and embrace it I feel like it doesn't have such a big hold anymore, sure it still stays with you but I've found there's certain situations now where it doesn't rear it's ugly head anymore. The fact you're embracing these things is just amazing!

    Jordanne || Thelifeofaglasgowgirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I’m glad you liked my post! Aw, really? I definitely need to learn to appreciate mine a lot more I think! I mostly dislike them when I’m breaking out anyway - they just seem to add to it, you know? With anxiety, it has definitely got easier, I agree. Again, thank you so much!

      Meg x

      Delete
  5. Great post - I love how you took negatives and turned them into positives (made for an interesting read!). :) I would love to do a post like this some time!
    -Jenna <3
    Follow me back? The Chic Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It’s the best thing to do really, isn’t it?

      You should! Let me know if you do!

      Meg x

      Delete
  6. You're cute and being short makes you looks adorable! But I think what makes you beautiful is your positivity. Not many people can turn their flaw into something positive.

    x Rasya nurulrasya.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment, thank you so much! It’s easier said than done but, once you shift into that mindset, it makes you feel so good about yourself!

      Meg x

      Delete
  7. Hey lovely, what a sweet post, so well written and very thought provoking. I totally understand what you mean by people arguing against what you feel. I am really tall and and so it makes me look thinner than I am and I hate it. Yet people always make me feel guilty about saying that.

    www.graphicsbysoph.co.uk/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment! You should never feel bad about expressing what makes you feel insecure. It’s perfectly okay for people to say if they think it’s beautiful but, for them to put you down about having those insecurities is not fair. I used to worry I was too thin and, whenever I tried to talk about it, I would quickly get shut down by my friends when J always listened to them complaining about their weight and that is never acceptable.

      Meg x

      Delete
  8. My height is a massive issue for me as well. It doesn't help that my younger sisters are taller than me 😐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh girl, I feel you! Fortunately for me, I don’t have siblings to overthrow me in the height department but don’t ever be ashamed of your height! You are small and mighty 💪🏻

      Meg x

      Delete
  9. What a lovely post, it's not often you find someone writing about their worst characteristics but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Plus you are gorgeous, I would love to be as photogenic as you!

    Alys / alysgeorge.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really in two minds when I was writing it and I changed it up a few times but I’m so glad I did post it because I’ve had so many lovely reactions from it! It’s always such a great feeling to turn a positive into a negative!

      Thank you so much omg you are stunning!

      Meg x

      Delete
  10. It's so crazy how you hate your freckles, the grass is definitely greener on the other side. I can totally understand the height issue though, I'm 5'9 so I can't exactly empathise but I can imagine that it leads to you not being taken serious in certain situations which is terrible. But as you pointed out, with every cloud there's a silver lining and ultimately that's the best way to approach these 'worst characteristics'!

    Dalal // dalaltahira.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea so many people liked freckles! As you said, the grass is certainly greener on the other side! You’ve got that spot on there, height wrongly leads people to believe that they can (quite literally) look down on me! You’re so right - I immediately felt better after posting this!

      Meg x | the-writeblog.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  11. I think most definitely our insecurities are personal to us. E.g. I wouldn't see freckles as a bad characteristic but that would just be my opinion! I'm similar is some way - I find it quite hard to let go, I can be quite an emotional mess sometimes. I used to be insecure about my height growing up, as I was always taller than everyone, but some way into my early teens it seems a lot of people caught up and overtook me to the point where now I fall slightly below average height!


    http://skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree - I’ve heard a lot of people talk about their insecurities and I’ve seen nothing wrong with them at all! You and me both with the emotional mess thing - this year has been particularly hard. I’m so glad you are not insecure about your height anymore - we can both wear our heels! ;)

      Meg x

      Delete
  12. I haven’t been wearing makeup for a long time - guess I’m a bit of a late bloomer in that regard but there are times now where I’m like oh quick can’t go out with all this acne where’s that foundation stick! A video that I came across that semi got me out of this mindset was from Nabela Noor - her latest video: GRWM: Going from 0 to 100?? - it’s a great video with a great message :)

    My height is also something I’m a bit half half on too - I’m 5’5’’ &1/2 (a little taller than 165.1 cm have to keep that half in somehow haha) and sometimes I’d want to wear heels and it’s like well then I’d be too tall. Or if I see pants, they come up to an odd length at the bottom because of my height.

    This is such a great post on accepting ourselves the way we are - we are our own worse critics at times!

    Sahara
    http://saharas-dreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel there! I wouldn't dream of going properly 'out' without make up but, if it is just general daytime activity, I am alright with it because - like you said - as I grew, I started to care less about the small things with my appearance. I'll give that video a look!

      I feel like you can never win with sizes! Because I have short legs, I almost always have to go for the petite range, which shops do not always have, particularly with the items I actually want!

      I completely agree; we need to stop putting ourselves down and learn to love these little things about ourselves. Thank you so much for reading!

      Meg x

      Delete
  13. I am a bit self-conscious about my height as well. I'm only 4'11 and I get mistaken for a literal child all the time. I can totally understand how it can be frustrating.

    Great post -- I love unique content! x

    Michelle
    dressingwithstyle-s.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This girl certainly knows! At least we have the advantage of getting children's wear for cheaper and wear heels as high as we like without worrying about towering over everyone else!

      Thank you so much!

      Meg x

      Delete
  14. I love the way you’ve written this post! I used to hate my freckles and thought they made me look too young but I’ve learned to embrace them and adore them now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really glad you enjoyed my post! I'm gradually learning to love mine - I've been getting better with them, I reckon! I'm so glad you like yours now, I bet they look wonderful!

      Meg x

      Delete
  15. This post is so good meg, I love it! It’s so true what you say though, one thing I don’t like about myself is my small boobs but 99% of people I speak to about it, wish they had them! It’s so strange!
    Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Liz! Oh my goodness, I used to hate my boob size because I am also small like you but I don't mind at all now because my friends have told me about the back pain and other mobility problems involved with having big breasts and it made me appreciate my small chest a lot more!

      Meg x

      Delete
  16. Very nice post, I love the way you have described your 'worst characteristics' but instead of it being a negative post, you've made sure to highlight the positives!! Well done on all of the progress you have made with your anxiety!!

    Claire xxx
    https://eclairscares.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Wicked woman

    ReplyDelete