The toxic side of the blogging community

   This post has been a long time coming. There's just never the right way to word it. Everyone has their own perceptions on what defines toxicity. Just like people have their good and bad sides, so does the blogging community. On the whole, I adore it because it is full of supportive, engaging and quirky personalities and it is such a pleasure to read all about them.

   Unfortunately however, there is a whole other ugly side to it and I am now going to reveal it to you based on my own experiences.


The competitive mindset

   This way of thinking involves viewing other bloggers as business rivals. People to be competed against for popularity. This is demonstrated through the follow/unfollow game, which involves people following other bloggers and unfollowing as soon as they are followed back. Some people don't keep track of who has unfollowed them, which results in the former having more followers.

   I have also seen people copying blog posts written by others and taking credit for it - which is not only morally wrong but against the law - and demanding support but never giving it. "Are we supporting each other?" No! Because, when I commented on your content, I made it in depth and thoughtful, whereas - in return - I was lucky to receive a vague, "cool post"

   What people forget is that not everyone is here to make a living from their blog. Some people just want to embrace and share their creativity with the world. Plus, being equally as supportive does not mean that you are missing out so there's absolutely no reason to try and out-do one another!


Can't be a 'Negative Nancy'!

   We all have our down days, granted. But I could not help but notice a disturbing correlation with my mood and follow count.

   When I tweet about achieving something good, I usually get around 100 likes if not more. The wonderful support and congratulatory messages come flooding in. On the other hand, when I have tweeted about feeling gloomy... I noticed on multiple occasions that my follow count immediately dropped.

   Just so I am clear, I never tweet anything obviously capable of triggering anyone. I am talking about very tame, "I've had a bad day and I'm really annoyed with people right now," kind of tweets. It's unfortunate that so many people preach about supporting those with bad mental health and to always be there for your friends, yet those same people don't want to know you the moment you show that your life isn't all sunshine and rainbows. 


Blogger drama and pack mentality

   Where do I even start with this gem? If you've been a part of the blogging community for a good while, then you will be no stranger to drama. If you are, I commend you immensely; it means you have been following the right people.

   Drama is sparked in a multitude of ways. Sometimes, someone says something bang out of order and the hostile response is inevitable. I find that, the majority of the time, something someone says is taken out of context and then everyone hops on the bandwagon of turning on them before asking questions later.

   For example, a blogger tweeted that she was not happy with her appearance for a particular reason and vowed to make a lifestyle change. In turn, she was immediately slated by a group of bloggers looking similar to her, making that tweet all about them and claiming that she's anti-this and anti-that. It's like people love to be offended.

   Some are like vultures. They wait for an individual to mess up and pounce on that person all at once. It's not enough that two people are having a disagreement. Everyone else has to get involved and subtweet even though they only know half of the story. Why? It's not enough that one person has a problem with something someone else has said. That same person, without first taking it to direct messages, has to publicly 'call out' that person and navigate their followers to do the same.

   It makes me sick to the stomach whenever I see it. 


Brands certainly don't help...

   The core of these issues don't always lie within the blogging community itself. You've got to ask yourself: why do these rivals form in the first place? Some brands pit us against each other.

   They do this every time they select bloggers with colossal followings for paid opportunities even though they engage so little and the majority of their followers are bought. What message is this sending out? More followers equals more importance, thus encouraging more influencers to resort to purchasing fake followers, using bots and getting vehemently competitive with their peers in the industry. 

   One blogger even told of her ordeal at attending an event and how she was asked to move out of the photo because she did not look a certain way - fit the 'blogger aesthetic', if you will. It was heartbreaking to read about.      

I would love to know your thoughts on the 'toxic' side of the blogging community.
Please let me know in the comments below!

13 comments

  1. I really loved this blog post as it highlighted some if the really toxic sides of blogging. I've only just discovered your blog but i will be sure to keep up with it as i love the way you openly chat with your readers about blogging. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment! I absolutely love your Instagram; thank you for taking the time to read my content - I look forward to seeing more of you!

      Meg x

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this Meg! There is toxicity in the blogging community, which is a shame because it toxicity of a small minority bloggers and influencers can overwrite the decent, genuine bloggers who want to just blog because they love writing and creating content! x

    Lucy | www.lucymary.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for so eloquently expressing what's wrong with the blogging community. So often I feel alone in these thoughts so it's nice to know other people share my frustrations. I'm so sick of the follow/unfollow game, I refuse to entertain it. X
    sarahjambler.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a true post. For a while I got very hung up on the whole follow/unfollow thing, now I try and not focus on it too much. The worst thing is a lot of it comes from things like blogger follow trains/chats on twitter, where you expect them to be more supportive. I enjoy keeping a blog and would love to get enough views to earn from it one day, but if that never happens I will happily just keep doing my thing on my tiny corner of the internet!

    Tootiredto.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a babe, so stunning and also such style! This post was written so well, you addressed so many problems but in a respectful way! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely loved reading this post. I'm still a small blogger and do this as a hobby, so I haven't been confronted with the toxic side of blogging yet. The only thing I've noticed so far is that on my instagram the follow/unfollow thing happens. Luckily I have an app to keep track of who unfollows me, so I can immediately unfollow them too. Lovely read, you have such a nice writing style ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes yes 1000x yes. While I've been very lucky and have mainly surrounded myself with loving, supportive people, I know for a fact that this toxic side of blogging exists. I know exactly who you're talking about in terms of copying posts. I know exactly about the following/unfollowing. It's so irritating and upsetting sometimes. I have goals I try to reach in terms of Instagram (twitter, not so much), and so it's so exciting when you reach a goal, and then all the unfollowers ruin it! I hope you look on the brightside and continue to blog, because this was a beautifully written post!

    Melina | melinaelisa.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The follow/unfollow game is so annoying, I’ve had people follow me and within a day they unfollowed, I don’t mind that people unfollow me if they don’t relate to what I post, but when they unfollow as soon as I follow back – that’s when it becomes obvious they’re playing games and it’s frustrating! The pack mentality is definitely the most toxic thing I’ve seen during my short year blogging, I’ve been blogging for about a year and I’ve seen several occasions where people pack together to verbally assault someone over an opinion which didn’t warrant the attack they received.
    Jess xx

    littlepinkduckblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is bang on! I blogged back in... 2014? a long time ago and I did it for fun but also made some money on the side, but so many people just put me off. It got so competitive and it was just so hard to keep up. I think coming back a bit older and knowing I 100% just want this blog for a fun hobby and to relax and not as a full time job, I think I should be a lot better but it's bad for some young girls out there than can drawn in, it can be toxic!

    Sophie x
    Twitter - @Coffee_lawblog

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I've been participating in lot of communities. Not all of them are same but nice article.

    METRO Drive

    ReplyDelete